Friday, July 6, 2012

Writing is Easy

"Writing is Easy"


When I have to write a paper I have to sit down in a fairly quiet, peaceful place with no distractions.  The balcony of my hotel in Hawaii, for example, is a great place to write (my view is pictured above).  I begin by writing down all my knowledge of whatever the topic may be.  It is usually a list and very unorganized.  After I do that, I organize my list by relevance and by projected paper structure.  I have to take many breaks when I write because I get very antsy and my mind does not focus for long periods  of times.  I agree with Steve Martin that many times I am thinking, "why am I writing this?" which makes what I am writing horrible to read.  I really think good writing is a talent.  I don't always mind writing but I do not consider myself to have writing talent.  I'd much rather be doing something else, most of the time! But, you do what you have to do!

1 comment: